Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Dinner Lately...


J. and I have been educating ourselves a bit about food and nutrition.  This is a typical meal lately. 


Actually, it's really not far from our usual dinner...just a little more intentional.  Many of the veggies were grown by J. and the kids in our garden.  I, however, do not "grow" things [at least not yet]...I kill them.  Not intentionally - I have tried to keep plants alive...I just fail, miserably. 

My mother once gave me a plant she said was kill-proof.  "You cannot kill this plant", she explained emphatically.  It was not a command, it was a statement.  It was one of those rubbery plants that "supposedly" won't die even if you want it to.

LIES!!! 

Just kidding.  [No, I'm not. *see below*] She really did think I would be capable of providing the plant with adequate sunlight and water...and whatever else a plant may need that I am ignorant about...but in true Heather fashion, I managed to destroy the poor thing.

When I found out I was pregnant with our first child I went into what I'm sure was a hormone induced panic.  How could I possibly keep a little person alive?!  I wasn't even confident in my ability to care for myself, or my dog...let alone a BABY!  So, I did what any rational thinking person would do and rushed out to the store and purchased a tiny little plant for myself.  I was determined to keep it alive...I HAD to.  I'd dramatically concluded that if I couldn't keep the plant alive, my helpless offspring was doomed. 

I cried when finally one morning I acknowledge that the brown shriveled sprout was without any hope for revival. It took some time, but my dear husband eventually reassured me that my green thumb was not reliably indicative of my maternal instincts - he was confident that I would, in fact, be a much better mother than I had shown myself as a gardener. 

Short story long...J. does the gardening around here.

We've always tried to eat relatively healthy foods.  Fruits and vegetables are a part of our everyday diet...not much red meat...mostly whole grains.  But lately we've been learning quite a bit about those added ingredients I can't pronounce that are listed on almost anything in a box, bag or can.  Since we began actually reading the ingredients in the foods we eat, we've been amazed at how many of those "good" foods are really not so good after all.  

It's not rocket science, really.  We are better off if we eat the foods that God provided for us.  The food we modify, alter and "create" is not going to work as well for our bodies as the food he designed to function well with our system.  

Truth is, we are all actually enjoying the changes in our diet...for the most part.  My husband thought he would really kind of dislike it at first, but he's loved it.  The changes aren't terribly drastic.  Instead of Life or Cheerios with sugar and milk for breakfast, we've been more selective about the whole grain and sugar content of our cereal, substitute part plain almond milk for cow milk, add raisins, bananas, nuts and rolled oats on top, instead of granulated white sugar.  It's super yummy, and better for us.


Instead of snacking on chips or ice cream, we've been dipping whole wheat flat bread in hummus and cutting up fruit.  I've incorporated a couple new foods into the kids' diet.  I like to explain what is on their plate as I serve it to them. 

Tonight I introduced our meal as "rainbow food". I carefully pointed out the veggies that were from our garden. My son happily ate everything - with the exception of the tomatoes with the zucchini, which he ate, but announced that he hopes I don't cook the tomatoes anymore because cooked tomatoes are gross. My daughter ate all but a few bites...which is typical for her...but she did eat all the new foods. So, all in all, seems like everyone is pretty happy.

In all our studying, it seems like a delicate balance to implement a healthy diet. Not so much in the diet itself, but even just in the incorporation of it into our lives. As we take into consideration, affordability, availability...[edibility]...and at the same time keep a right perspective on it all.

What comes out of our mouths is more important than what goes into it. I think it is important for us to care for our bodies and use the resources that God has provided to us wisely...but I don't want to loose sight of those things that are of greater significance. What good is it if I carefully nourish my body, and fail to nourish my soul?

Anyways...before you think too highly of me...[or judge me too harshly depending on your perspective on food]...I will confess that after dinner I ate not one...but TWO slices of chocolate cake.  Yes, it was organic cake, with homemade frosting...but still, chocolaty sugary goodness for which I lack self-control. 

It was leftover from my daughter's birthday party...someone has to eat it...it can't go to waste...I'm nursing...I need the calories, right?  Right?  [I have a longer list of "valid" arguments...I just don't want to exhaust them all at once...]

Note: [*for Meesh]

4 comments:

  1. Reading your blogs always make me happy, I appreciate the mother and wife that you are. God is using you for all the right things and I am thankful to know you. MAybe one day soon we can get together and east some grass and honey stuffed apples :) (no seriously im willing to try anything:) Good luck with your green thumb..girl I am in the same boat as you...cant grow nuthin! geez, I know tho that I have talents in other area thjat God will and is using me for :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alright lady...east grass and honey stuffed apples it is... ;) Next week?

    God makes each of us differently. AND because we belong to Him, regardless of the way He uses us...WE ARE HIS! That is what is so amazing! [This is a little something I've been learning more about lately as a stay-at-home-mom.

    "Whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God"

    It's not about doing something great, but about living lives that glorify Him...in both the big and seemingly insignificant moments. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving your comments! I really appreciate your feedback. I would like to send you a response, so please be sure I can view your email address, or check back for a follow up comment from me. Thanks!